Whether you have one day or a week, visiting Zion National Park with kids can be a fun and exciting family adventure. Check out these fun things to do at Zion National Park with kids.
1. Drive the Scenic Mt. Carmel Highway
The 12-mile Mt. Carmel Highway connects the south and east entrances of Zion National Park. The road travels up several switchbacks, and through the historic Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel. Be sure to stop at several viewpoints, and even take a few short strolls for even more scenic views. Two favorites are Checkerboard Mesa and Canyon Overlook Trail.
2. Tackle A Few Easy Hikes
Once inside Zion National Park, there are some great family-friendly hikes. Some of our favorite hikes with kids are Riverside Walk, Emerald Pools and Weeping Rock.
• Riverside Walk is the gateway to the famous Narrows hike. Paved most of the way, this easy 1-mile trail is great for hiking with kids. Along the way there are a few points where you can walk to the rivers edge, a cool rock ledge overhang, and you may even see chipmunks scampering along the trail. At the end of Riverside Walk, the mouth of The Narrows invites splashing around in the cool water and shallow rocky river bed.
• Emerald Pools is another popular family-friendly trail in Zion National Park. The 0.6-mile trail to Lower Emerald Pool is fully paved, and can be combined with the hike to Middle Emerald Pool or the Kayenta Trail, depending on ages and skill level.
• Weeping Rock is the shortest trail in Zion National Park, just 0.5-mile round trip. Although it’s steep in a few sections, the weeping alcove and mist of falling water is a favorite with families.
Insider Tip: For visitors looking for a longer hike, the trek to Observation Point across Zion Ponderosa cuts off the steep 2,000-foot incline, making it a popular choice with families.
3. Junior Ranger Program
Pick up a free Junior Ranger booklet at the Zion Visitor Center, and follow the activities. Kids can attend ranger talks, too.
4. Zion Canyon Theater and Museum
Take in a flick and learn about the park’s history and geology in 22 minutes. There are also cool exhibits to explore in the museum. The gift shop is here, too.
5. Cool Off
A family vacation just isn’t a vacation without some time in the pool. Back at Zion Ponderosa, kids love our two-tier swimming pool, and parents enjoy lounging nearby in the hot tub. New this year is our pond for paddle boarding and other water activities.
6. Zip Lining
This year, guests will be zip lining over our new pond. Get suited up and fly through the air for a thrill kids and adults of all ages enjoy.
7. Climbing Wall and Bungee Trampoline
The entire family will enjoy the challenge of rock climbing – and it’s great practice for anyone considering a canyoneering adventure. The bungee trampoline is a great way to burn off that endless kid energy supply!
8. Jeep Adventures
Venture into Zion’s backcountry in our brand new Jeeps, to scenic overlooks and an adventurous ride the whole family will enjoy. The Sunset Jeep Tour is the perfect ending to a day of Zion family fun.
9. ATV Tours
Adventure off road in an ATV Ranger that will fit the entire family. Two of the most popular viewpoints on Zion Ponderosa are Jolley Gulch and Pine Knoll.
10. Horseback Riding
Hit the dusty trails and experience the Wild West on horseback. With safety and enjoyment at the forefront of each horseback ride, guests will be paired with horses according to experience level. For our littlest riders, we offer guided pony rides so everyone can experience a Zion horseback adventure.
Insider Tip: Bring plenty of snacks and water on your Zion adventures. From March through November, Zion National Park visitors will be required to ride the mandatory shuttle, so pack accordingly.
Ready for some family fun?
Book a jeep tour with East Zion Jeep Tours. Use code take20 for 20% off when booking in advance.